BOSTON – Rallying from a 2-1 deficit after the doubles points played out, the University of Southern Maine Huskies women's tennis team claimed four out of six singles points to earn a narrow 5-4 victory over the UMass Boston Beacons Sunday afternoon at the Boston College High School Tennis courts in Boston.
Winning its third straight match and second consecutive Little East Conference match, the Huskies improve to 5-3 overall and 3-2 in the Little East. With the loss, UMass Boston slips to 3-5 overall and 2-2 in the Little East Conference.
Sophomore Mary Moran (Windham, Maine/Portland) rallied from a set behind to earn a key 0-6, 6-3, 6-2 win at first singles to help lead the Huskies to the victory. Moran defeated UMass Boston junior Anitra Kloczewiak (Newton, Mass./Newton North) as the Huskies earned the first through fourth singles points.
Junior Tegan Talbot (Topsham, Maine/Mt. Ararat) finished her week of tennis with a perfect 6-0 record, earning a 6-0, 6-0 win over UMass Boston sophomore Samantha Counts (Bridgewater, Mass./Bridgewater-Raynham Regional).
Moran and Talbot also teamed to score the Huskies lone point in doubles action, defeating Kloczewiak and MaKenna Arrigo (Yarmouth Port, Mass./Dennis Yarmouth) 8-5 at first doubles.
Southern Maine travels to Emmanuel College on Monday (6:30 p.m.). UMass Boston travels to Salem State on Tuesday (1:00 p.m.).
1. Mary Moran (SM) def. Anitra Kloczewiak (B) 0-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Emily Boutin (SM) def. MaKenna Arrigo (B) 6-0, 6-4
3. Tegan Talbot (SM) def. Samantha Counts (B) 6-0, 6-0
4. Ali Hartley (SM) def. Wendy Steinman (B) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. Hieu Nguyen (B) def. Molly Morrill (SM) 6-3, 6-1
6. Katherine Perkins (B) def. Meaghan Robinson (SM) 6-2, 6-4
1. Moran/Talbot (SM) def. Kloczewiak/Arrigo (B) 8-5
2. Counts/Nguyen (B) def. Boutin/Hartley (SM) 8-2
3. Perkins/Steinman (B) def. Morrill/Robinson (SM) 8-4
- cac -