GORHAM, Maine – Sophomore James Sinclair (Portland, Maine) earned his second win of the season pitching 5.1 innings, senior Jake Dexter (Oakland, Maine/Messalonskee) earned his third save of the season, and senior Devin Warren (Smithfield, Maine/Messalonskee) went 2-for-4 with two RBI to lead the third-ranked University of Southern Maine Huskies to a 6-4 win over the Bowdoin College Polar Bears in a non-conference baseball game Wednesday afternoon at Ed Flaherty Field.
Playing in its home opener, USM is 13-3 with the win. Bowdoin remains winless at 0-14-1
HOW IT HAPPENED:
After freshman Gavin Cann (South Hamilton, Mass./Brooks School) put Bowdoin ahead 1-0 with a two-out double to right field in the top of the first, Southern Maine rallied with a five-run bottom half of the inning to take the lead for good.
Following a lead-off single from junior Andrew Olszak (Danver, Mass.) Huskies scored five runs on three hits and a Polar Bear error in the bottom of the first. Junior Dylan Hapworth (Winslow, Maine) had an RBI sacrifice fly to score USM's equalizer, and Warren drove in a pair on a triple to the right field gap. Senior Zach Quintal (Eliot, Maine/Marshwood) had an RBI ground out, and junior Anthony Degifico (South Portland, Maine) singled in a run through the right side.
Bowdoin cut into the USM lead in the top of the fourth with a solo homerun from sophomore Brendan O'Neil (Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla./Bolles School) to make it a 5-2 USM advantage, but the Huskies took the run back in the bottom of the fifth for a 6-2 score. Husky junior Andrew Hillier (Bangor, Maine) converted his one-out single with solid base running to score Southern Maine's sixth run of the game on another RBI ground out from Quintal.
Freshman Chris Attisani (Wellesley Hills, Mass./Buckingham, Browne & Nichols) and senior Colby Joncas (Londonderry, N.H.) each drove in runs in the top of the sixth to keep the Polar Bears within striking distance. Attisani drove in classmate Nick Merrill (Bowdoinham, Maine/Mt. Ararat) with a double to right center after Merrill led off with a double of his own, while Joncas had an RBI ground out.
Bowdoin's pitching kept USM off the scoreboard the next two innings, and the Polar Bears threatened for an equalizer in the top of the eighth. With a pair of singles and runners at third and second with one out, Bowdoin threatened to tie the score. With the lead in jeopardy, Dexter moved from second base to the mound, and struck out the next two Polar Bear batters to end the threat. In the ninth, Dexter worked his way around a lead-off double with a pair of ground outs and a strikeout to claim the save.
On The Mound:
- USM's Sinclair (2-) worked 5.1 innings allowing four runs (three earned) on seven hits and a walk to earn the win. He struck out one.
- Junior Colton Lawrence (Farmington, Maine/Mt. Blue) and senior Henry Curran (South Portland, Maine) each pitched an inning of relief. Lawrence allowed one hit, while Curran yielded a pair of hits and struck out two.
- Dexter pitched 1.2 innings, striking out three and allowing one hit for his 29th career save.
- Bowdoin used five pitchers in the game. Starter sophomore Becket Slayton (Blue Hill, Maine/George Stevens Academy) was tagged
- with the loss. Slayton (0-1) allowed five runs (two earned) on three hits and a pair of walks.
Off the Bat:
- Warren was 2-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored. Olszak and Hapworth each had two hits for the Huskies. Olszak was 2-for-4, including a double, with one run scored, while Hapworth went 2-for-3.
- Quintal had two RBI for the Huskies, while Hapworth and Degifico each drove in a run.
- Bowdoin's Eric Mah (Newtonville, Mass./Newton North) went 3-for-4, while Merrill and Cann each had two hits.
- O'Neil's home run was the first of the season for the sophomore.
Southern Maine travels to Eastern Connecticut State University on Saturday (12:00 pm) for a Little East Conference doubleheader. The Huskies are back in action at home on Sunday (1:00 pm) against non-conference opponent Nichols.
- cac -