GORHAM, Maine – Junior Andrew Olszak (Danver, Mass.) smoked a three-run triple to the right field fence in the bottom of the sixth as the third-ranked University of Southern Maine Huskies overcame a 4-3 deficit to defeat the UMass Dartmouth Corsairs in a Little East Conference baseball game Tuesday afternoon at Ed Flaherty Field.
Senior Henry Curran (South Portland, Maine) earned the win on the mound for the Huskies pitching a solid two innings of relief to improve to 4-0 on the season. UMass Dartmouth used seven pitchers in the contest.
- Final Score: No. 3 Southern Maine UMass Dartmouth
- Southern Maine 24-5, 12-2 Little East; UMass Dartmouth 12-17, 5-6 Little East
- With the win, USM and UMD are 1-1 in the regular season series
- USM leads the overall series 65-25.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
No. 3 Southern Maine 9, UMass Dartmouth 5
- Southern Maine led 3-0 after three full. Senior Devin Warren (Smithfield, Maine/Messalonskee) had an RBI triple in the second, while senior Jake Dexter (Oakland, Maine/Messalonskee) had a two-run single to left in the third.
- UMass Dartmouth senior Jack Harrington (Barnstable, Mass.) hit one of his two doubles in the game in the top of the fourth to put the Corsairs on the board to trail 3-1. Harrington knocked in junior Mike Knell (Dennis, Mass.) who reached safely with a two-out triple down the right field line.
- After a scoreless ffith, the Corsairs took the lead 4-3 in the sixth scoring three runs on three hits, a wild pitch, a walk and a USM fielding error to chase away USM starter Ben Lambert (Saco, Maine/Thornton Academy). Harrington smacked his second double of the game, this time down the right field line, to drive in two runs, scoring Knell and senior Chris Wood (Berkley, Mass.). Wood led off the inning with a single, while Knell took first on a fielder's choice. Harrington came around to score on a Huskies' fielding error with two outs.
- UMD's lead was short lived as the Huskies regained control in the home half of the sixth. After a lead off walk was issued to USM junior Dylan Hapworth (Winslow, Maine), Corsair relief pitcher Nate Tellier (Attleboro, Mass.) got a pair of outs on a strikeout and a line out to center. UMD committed a fielding error on the potential third out, and a wild pitch and stolen base game USM runners on third and second with two outs. Another walk loaded the bases, and Olszak collected the only hit of the inning, lacing a triple over the head of the UMD right fielder for a three-RBI hit and a 6-4 USM advantage.
- Entering in the top of the seventh, Curran kept the Corsairs off of the board, and USM added a pair of runs. Hapworth had an RBI ground out, while Warren used heads up base-running and his speed to score from second base on a single to right field from senior Zach Quintal (Eliot, Maine/Marshwood).
- Down 8-4 headed to the eighth, UMD took one back to trail 8-5 after pinch-hit sacrifice fly RBI from junior Nick Andrews (Raynham, Mass./Bridgewater-Raynham). However, USM's Dexter hit an RBI single in the eighth for a 9-5 lead and then came on to pitch in the ninth for a 1-2-3 inning and a Huskies' win.
ON THE MOUND:
- USM's Lambert was a no-decision, allowing four runs (three earned) on seven hits and two walks in six innings. He struck out six..
- Curran pitched 2.0 innings allowing one earned run on two hits and two walks. He struck out one. Dexter pitched the 1.0 innings earning one strikeout.
- UMD junior Nate Tellier (Attleboro, Mass.) took the loss for the Corsairs. Tellier allowed five runs (two earned) on three hits and three walks in 1.2 innings.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Olszak was 3-for-4 with three RBI, while Dexter was 3-for-5 with three RBI and a run scored. Junior Andrew Hillier (Bangor, Maine) was 2-for-5 to round out the Huskies' repeat hitters.
- Harrington finished 3-for-4 with three RBI and a run scored for the Corsairs. Two of his three hits were for extra bases. Knell and Mitch Baker (Braintree, Mass.) each had two hits for UMD.
Southern Maine travels to Bates College on Wednesday (3:30 pm) and returns home for a non-conference match on Thursday (3:30 pm) vs. Salem State.
- cac –