LEWISTON, Maine – Senior Tanner Laberge (Windham, Maine) earned his second win of the season pitching a solid eight innings, and junior Jake Dexter (Oakland, Maine/Messalonskee) picked up his sixth save of the 2019 season as the third-ranked University of Southern Maine Huskies dispatched the Bates College Bobcats 4-1 on the road at Leahey Field. The win is the fourth straight for the Huskies who improve to 25-5 overall.
- Final Score: No. 3 Southern Maine 4, UMass Dartmouth 1
- Southern Maine 25-5; Bates College 13-13
- USM is 9-4 on the road this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
No. 3 Southern Maine 4, Bates 1
- USM led from the top of the first on an RBI single to center field from Dexter. The Huskies' had two hits in the inning, including junior Andrew Hillier's (Bangor, Maine) triple to right field.
- The Huskies made it 4-0 in the top of the second on back-to-back RBI doubles from freshman Jonathan Wilson (East Granby, Conn.) and sophomore Jason Komulainen (Gorham, Maine).
- After a scoreless third, Hillier gave the Huskies a 3-0 lead with a sacrifice fly to right field, scoring Komulainen. Komulainen reached safely with a one-out infield single to the Bobcats' pitcher.
- Bates broke up the shutout in the home-half of the fourth, converting a lead off walk, a single and a pair of stolen bases (and a Huskies' fielding error) from Jack Arend and Justin White.
- After the fourth, Laberge was dominant over the Bobcats allowing just a two-out single in the sixth while retiring 12 of 13 batters, including a streaks of seven from the sixth through eight innings.
- Bates had a pair of runners in the bottom of the ninth after a one-out walk from Arend and a single to left from Christian Beal, but Dexter came back with a strikeout and a ground out to end the threat.
ON THE MOUND:
- USM's Laberge (2-0) scattered two hits and two walks over eight innings allowing a single unearned run to earn the win. Laberge struck out a season-high five in his sixth appearance of the season.
- Dexter pitched the ninth for his sixth save of the season allowing one hit and a walk. He had two strikeouts.
- Bates' Jared Pantalony (0-2) took the loss allowing four earned runs on eight hits and a pair of walks in a four-inning stretch.
- Bates' next three pitchers Miles Michaud, Cameron Carlon and Alex Simon combined for the final five innings, and did not allow a run. Michaud gave up a pair of hits , while Carson allowed one with three strikeouts.
BY THE NUMBERS
- USM's Andrew Olszak and Zach Quintal each had a pair of hits as part of the Huskies' 11-hit attack. Quintal, Wilson and Komulainen each had doubles.
- Four of USM's 11 hits were for extra bases.
- Hillier, Dexter, Wilson and Komulainen each had RBIs.
- Arend had two of Bates' three hits in the game, and finished 2-for-3 at the dish with a walk.
Southern Maine hosts to Salem State University on Thursday (3:30 pm) for a non-conference match up.
- cac –