GORHAM, Maine – Advancing to the 2018 Little East Conference Tournament Semifinals with its 2-1 overtime win over Fitchburg State this Tuesday, the University of Southern Maine Huskies field hockey team is prepping for its first semifinal appearance since 2016.
Seeded-third in the tournament after finishing the LEC regular season with a 9-3 record, including a 3-0 win over regular season champions Castleton University, Southern Maine will face conference-power and second-seed Keene State College Owls on Friday (7:00 p.m.) at Castleton University. Castleton, the 2018 regular season champion, will serve as the host for the semifinal and final rounds of the championship tournament at its Dave Wolk Stadium. Castleton will host fourth-seed Worcester State University Lancers at 4:00 p.m. on Friday in the first semifinal game. Winners of each semifinal contest will meet for the 2018 Little East Conference Championship and berth into the NCAA Division III National Championship Tournament.
Who:No. 3 Southern Maine (13-7, 9-3 Little East) vs. No. 2 Keene State (15-6, 10-2 Little East)
Where:Dave Wolk Stadium, Castleton University, Castleton, Vermont
When:Friday, November 2 (7:00 p.m.)
Live Stats & Video:LitteEastTV.Com
About the Series:
- Friday's game will be the 40thmeeting between Keene State and Southern Maine
- Keene State leads the series 29-10-0
- Southern Maine last defeated the Owls in 2003. The Huskies defeated KSC 3-1 on November 8, 2003 to claim its first and only Little East Conference Championship
- USM and KSC have met in the LEC tournament four times, most recently in the 2016 Championship game.
The Last Game: Keene State 2, Southern Maine 1 – September 19, 2018
- KSC Goals: Kayla Klein (unassisted) 13:18, Kelsey Roberts (Julia Babbitt) 21:05
- USM Goal: Abbie Staples (Kerigan Demers) 15:32
- Saves: USM – McKenzie Cormier 11; KSC – Roachel Loseby 2
- Shots: USM 5; KSC 18
- Penalty Corners: USM 6, KSC 17
Southern Maine Team Notes:
- The Huskies have won their last seven games consecutively.
- Freshman Samantha Ellis leads USM with 11 goals and five assists for 27 points
- Senior Dorina Sirois is second in scoring with eight goals and seven assists for 23 points
- Ellis, Sirois and Abbie Staples each have two game-winning goals
- Freshman Lindsay Pych has a record of 8-5-0 with one shutout and a 1.74 GAA
Keene State Team Notes:
- Nina Bruno and Kayla Klein lead the LEC in scoring with 29 and 24 goals respectively
- KSC has won the last five Little East Conference Championships (2013-2017)
- cac –