2018 LEC Rookie of the Year: Samantha Ellis

Newcomb OT Goal Leads Husson Over Southern Maine 3-2 OT

Newcomb OT Goal Leads Husson Over Southern Maine 3-2 OT


GORHAM, Maine –  Sophomore Ryley Newcomb (Barre, Mass./Quabbin Regional) scored with just 38 seconds left in overtime to lead the Husson University Eagles to a 3-2 overtime win over the University of Southern Maine Huskies in a non-conference field hockey game Saturday afternoon at Hannaford Field. 

With the victory, Husson earns its first win of the season to improve to 1-2.  The loss ends a two-game win-streak for the Huskies, who are now 2-2.  The last two games between the schools have been decided in overtime.  USM defeated Husson 4-3 in overtime in 2018.  

Husson led the Huskies 2-0 headed into the fourth and final quarter taking a 1-0 lead on a goal from Mallory Fairbanks (Lisbon Falls, Maine/Lisbon) in the 13th minute.  The Eagles doubled their advantage in the third on a 42nd minute goal from freshman Adelle Foss (Farmington, Maine/Spruce Mountain).  USM senior Dorina Sirois (Saco, Maine/Thornton Academy) cut the Husky deficit to a single goal midway through the fourth cleaning up a rebound in the 53rd minute for her second goal of the season.  Minutes, sophomore Samantha Ellis (New Vineyard, Maine/Mt. Blue) tied the score up at two in the 56th to help force the overtime period.  Ellis cleaned up a loose ball in the circle for her third goal of the season.  

Both teams had chances in the overtime period. Husson freshman goalkeeper Kimmie Goddard (Westbrook, Maine) made a diving save in the 64th minute on a close-range attempt from Sirois.  Husky sophomore Lindsay Pych (West Milford, N.J./Morristown-Beard) also made a strong stick-side save on an attempt late in OT from Husson freshman Caroline Johnson (Lewiston, Maine/Saint Dominic Academy).

Pych finished with five saves in the loss for Southern Maine. Goddard, who started the game but did not play the second half before reentering for OT, made four saves in 39:22 of action. Junior Andrea Shaggy (Harwinton, Conn./Lewis S. Mills) made five saves and allowed two goals in 30 minutes. 

Southern Maine is on the road for its next contest and travels to nearby St. Joseph's College on Wednesday (8:00 pm).