GORHAM, Maine – Senior Jay Roberts (Suwanee, Georgia/Fanglier) shared game-high scoring honors and set a career-high with 29 points, including the game-winning free throw, to lead the University of Southern Maine Huskies to a 78-77 win over the Bowdoin College Polar Bears in a non-conference men's basketball game Tuesday night at Hill Gymnasium.
The win is the third straight for the Huskies who improve to 3-1. Bowdoin falls to 1-2 with the loss. Bowdoin defeated the Huskies 84-81 in in the 2018-2019 series.
Roberts was lights out from three-point range making 5-of-7 to finish the night 9-of-13 fro the field for his 29 points. He added five rebounds, three steals, and two assists. Sophomore Jacobe Thomas (Houston, Texas/Davis) added 22 points, seven rebounds, one assist and one steal. Junior DJ Anderson (Houston, Texas/Davis) added nine points, seven rebounds, an assist and a steal.
Bowdoin's David Reynolds finished with 29 points, knocking down five threes, including the equalizer to send the game into overtime. Zavier Rucker tossed in 16 points and had nine rebounds, and seven assists. Taiga Kagitomi had eight points, seven rebounds, three assists and two steals.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Thomas and Roberts each had 14 points in the first half to lead USM. Thomas scored 14 of the Huskies' first 15 points in the contest.
- With the score tied at 18 with 5:30 to play in the opening half, Roberts went off scoring the Huskies' next 11 points as part of an 11-5 run which helped USM to a 31-25 lead at the break.
- Bowdoin outscored USM 14-4 in the opening five minutes of the second half to take a 39-35 lead setting up a back-and-forth battle. Reynolds had seven of the Polar Bears points in the run.
- USM seemed to have the game in hand as a Roberts' layup with 3:20 to play had the Huskies ahead 61-51, but Bowdoin pushed back to close out regulation on a 13-3 run, capped by a three from Reynolds to force overtime.
- Reynolds remained hot to start to start overtime, starting with a traditional three-point play, to give Bowdoin an early 67-64 lead. USM countered with an 11-4 run, paced by seven points from Roberts to lead 75-71 with 1:55 to go.
- Reynolds stayed clutch for the Polar Bears knocking down back-to-back threes around a USM layup from Anderson to tie the score up at 77 with 43 seconds to play before Roberts drove the lane and was fouled. Making one of two from the free throw line, USM played enough defense to force a shot in traffic and Roberts secured the rebound for the final.
Southern Maine opens its Little East Conference schedule and hosts UMass Dartmouth on Saturday (3:00 pm).