Southern Maine and Maine Maritime Battle to 2-2 Draw

Sheddy Agbonsolo had an assist in USM's draw with Maine Maritime.
Sheddy Agbonsolo had an assist in USM's draw with Maine Maritime.

GORHAM, Maine –  Sophomore Sam Anderson (Middletown, Conn./Bristol Central) and freshman Joseph Kalilwa (Lewiston, Maine) each scored goals as the University of Southern Maine Huskies bounced back twice from a one-goal deficit to earn a 2-2 draw with the Maine Maritime Academy Mariners in a non-conference men's soccer game Wednesday evening at Hannaford Field.

Called due to darkness, overtime was not played.  Southern Maine is now 5-7-2 on the season, while Maine Maritime is 2-7-3 with the draw. 

MMA sophomore Matthew Caron (Scarborough, Maine) scored in the 26th minute to record the first goal of the game and put the Mariners ahead 1-0.  Caron hit a shot to the far post after senior Ike Doiron (Wilton, Maine/Mt. Blue) won a tough ball in the middle of the field and found Caron with a through ball to the right side.

The Mariners remained in front of the Huskies until late in the first half when Anderson netted his team-leading eighth goal of the season in the 41st.  Freshman Benjamin Musese (Auburn, Maine/Lewiston) elevated to get his head on a ball, sending the ball back across the goal mouth to Anderson who tapped it in past MMA sophomore goalkeeper Andrew Coleman (Saco, Maine/Thornton Academy). 

Locked at 1-1 in the second half, the Mariners again went ahead on a Caron goal as Caron finished a service from freshman Colby Clarke (Ellsworth, Maine) in the 53rd minute.  The Mariners lead was short-lived however as USM rallied for the equalizer in the 58th.  Kalilwa netted his third goal of the season on a double-assist from Anderson and senior Sheddy Agbonsalo (Lynn, Mass./Lynn Classical).  Agobonsalo won a central ball and then played it forward to Anderson who heel-flicked it on to a streaking Kalilwa.  Kalilwa took one touch before blasting in the equalizer 

With just over 20 minute to play neither team could claim the go-ahead goal.  Southern Maine controlled possession for most of the final minutes, and had several scoring opportunities but Coleman came up big to keep the score even.

Coleman finished the game making seven saves for the Mariners.  Junior Simon Hulbert (Bar Harbor, Maine/Mount Desert Island) started in goal playing the first 45 for USM, making four saves.  Freshman Richard Glemawu (Accra, Ghana/South Kent (Conn.)) played the final 45, making a pair of saves.  USM finished the game with a 16-11 lead in shots, including an 11-6 advantage in the second half. 

Southern Maine returns to Little East Conference play and will host Plymouth State University on Saturday (2:30 p.m.).  Maine Maritime hosts St. Joseph's (Maine) College in a non-conference game on Sunday (4:30 p.m.).