PORTLAND, Maine – Sophomore Will Hogan (Ridgefield, Conn.) earned a pair of wins on the day to help the Western Connecticut State University Colonials to a 6-3 victory over the University of Southern Maine Huskies in a Little East Conference men's tennis match Saturday afternoon at the APEX tennis facility in Portland, Maine.
With the win, Western Connecticut improves to 2-3 in the LEC, and 2-9 overall. The win stopped a four-match slide for WCSU. Southern Maine falls to 1-7 overall and 1-4 in Little East action.
Hogan and junior Mathew Kusaila (Goshen, Conn./Wamogo) earned a key point at the first doubles flight defeating the USM tandem of sophomore Adam Papayoanou (Valencia, Calif./Hart) and junior Matt Henderson (Newburyport, Mass.) 8-6. Hogan and Kusaila's win gave the Colonials a 2-1 lead heading into the singles flight. USM seniors Kevin Dowling (Stamford, Vermont/McCann Technical) and Matt Norris (Casco, Maine/Lake Region) earned the Huskies' doubles point with a solid 8-2 win at third doubles.
Sophomore Mathew Carino (Sandy Hook, Conn./Newtown) scored WSCU's fourth point of the match with a 6-0, 6-0 win at second singles over Henderson, while Hogan secured the victory gutting out a 7-5, 6-2 win over Papayoanou. Dowling and junior Kyle Morin (Lewiston, Maine) won their matches at fourth and fifth singles respectively.
The Huskies travel to Salem State on Tuesday (3:30 pm) for a LEC contest.
Western Connecticut 6, Southern Maine 3
Western Connecticut (2-9, 2-3 LEC); Southern Maine (1-7, 1-4 LEC)
- Will Hogan/Mathew Kusaila (WC) def. Adam Papyoanou/Matt Henderson (SM), 8-6
- Matthew Carino/Chauncey Allers (WC) def. Evan Zuchowski/Kyle Morin (SM), 8-4
- Matt Norris/Kevin Dowling (SM) def. Jerry Narcisse/Zachary Russo (WCSU), 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
- Hogan (WC) def. Papayoanou (SM), 7-5, 6-2
- Carino (WC) def. Henderson (SM), 6-0, 6-0
- Allers (WC) def. Zuchowski (SM), 6-1, 6-0
- Morin (SM) def. Kusaila (WC), 6-1, 6-0
- Dowling (SM) def. Jay Kilcourse (WC), 7-6, 6-4
- Myckland Cothias (WC) def. Matt Norris (SM), 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 2,1,3,6,5,4
- cac -