GORHAM, Maine – Senior Kevin Dowling (Stamford, Vermont/McCann Technical) and junior Kyle Morin (Lewiston, Maine) each claimed a singles point, but the University of Southern Maine Huskies fell 7-2 to the UMass Dartmouth Corsairs in a Little East Conference men's tennis match Saturday afternoon.
Concluding its season, Southern Maine is 1-9 overall and 1-6 in 2019. UMass Dartmouth improves to 7-10 overall and 4-3 in the Little East. UMD will continue on into the Little East Conference tournament beginning on Tuesday.
Freshmen Kyle Noseworthy and Chase Franco paired up at third doubles to earn a hard-fought 8-4 win over Dowling and Morin in doubles action to help the Corsairs snag all three doubles points, and start the match 3-0.
In singles action UMD claimed the first through four match points, but Morin scored a 6-1, 7-6 (7-4) win at fifth singles over Sean Manny, and Dowling earned a 6-3, 6-2 win at sixth singles against Tommy Yong for the two USM points.
UMass Dartmouth 7, Southern Maine 2
Western Connecticut (7-10, 4-3 LEC); Southern Maine (1-9, 1-6 LEC)
- Anthony Joseph/Tristan Viale (UMD) def. Adam Papyoanou/Matt Henderson (SM), 8-2
- Eli Brooks/Baylen Harper (UMD) def. Evan Zuchowski/Nick DeAngelis (SM), 8-2
- Kyle Noseworthy/Chase Franco (UMD) def. Kyle Morin/Kevin Dowling (SM), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
- Joseph (UMD) def. Papayoanou (SM), 6-1. 6-1
- Noseworthy (UMD) def. Henderson (SM), 6-0, 6-1
- Sean Nutter (UMD) def. DeAngelis (SM), 6-0, 6-1
- Franco (UMD) def. Zuchowski (SM) 6-0, 6-0
- Morin (SM) def. Sean Manny (UMD), 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
- Dowling (SM) def. Tommy Yong (UMD), 6-3, 6-2
- cac -