PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Junior Alexis Brown (Malden, Mass.) pitched a four-hit gem and the University of Southern Maine Huskies softball team combined for 12 hits, including six doubles, to earn an 11-0 (5 inning) win over the Rhode Island College Anchorwomen in game two of a Little East Conference doubleheader to salvage a split on the road. USM dropped game one 5-2 to RIC.
Game One: Rhode Island College 5, Southern Maine 2
Game Two: Southern Maine 11, Rhode Island College 0 (5 innings)
Southern Maine (13-10, 2-4 LEC); Rhode Island College (15-9, 2-4 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- USM junior Erin Martin (Biddeford, Maine) went 4-for-4 with two runs scored, two doubles and a solo home run for an RBI.
- RIC's Briana Gough earned her ninth win of the year, striking out four and holding USM to two runs on nine hits.
- RIC's Michaela DeAngelis had two RBI on a 1-for-3 effort at the plate, while Cristin Chiaverini and Marissa Cushman each had an RBI
- USM led 1-0 after the top of the first on an RBI single from junior Kayleigh Bohan (Bedford, N.H), but the Anchormen took the lead for good with two runs in the bottom of the inning, on a Cushman RBI single.
- Martin's home run in the top of the sixth was the final run of the game, and her fourth of the season.
- Brown allowed just four hits and struck out nine over five innings to earn her sixth win of the season.
- Brown helped her own cause with an RBI single in the third, and the Huskies used an RIC fielding error with the bases load to snag a 4-0 lead over the Anchormen.
- The Huskies scored seven runs in the top of the fifth to invoke the eight-run rule.
- Senior Brooke Cross (Saco, Maine/Thornton Academy) was 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles and two RBI. She had a two-run double in the pivotal fifth inning
- Bohan had a two-run double in the fifth to start the scoring in the fifth.
- RIC's Erica Fleming absorbed the loss allowing seven runs (four earned) on eight hits and three walks.
- The Anchorwomen had four hits in the contest, all doubles, including doubles from Cushman and DeAngelis.
BY THE NUMBERS
- USM's Brown, who also pitched 3.1 innings of relief in game one, finished both games with 17 strikeouts in 8.1 innings. Brown gave up six hits but did not yield a run. She was 4-for-8 at the plate with a run scored and double.
- Martin was 5-for-7 on the day for USM, while Bohan collected three RBI.
- Cross is now 11th in career doubles (27) and 11th in career RBI (71).
Southern Maine remains on the road and faces Little East Conference opponent Keene State on Sunday (12:00 pm) for a doubleheader.
- cac –