KEENE, N.H. – Junior Ashley Tinsman (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) hit a two-run homerun in the top of the sixth and classmate Madison Greene (Moultonborough, N.H.) provided the University of Southern Maine with solid relief pitching effort as Huskies earned a Little East Conference doubleheader split with the Keene State College Owls Sunday afternoon.
Game One: Southern Maine 3, Keene State 2
Game Two: Keene State 14, Southern Maine 12
Southern Maine (14-11, 3-5 LEC); Keene State (9-15, 4-4 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- USM junior Erin Martin (Biddeford, Maine) drove in the first run of the game on an RBI single to right field to put the Huskies 1-0 in the top of the third.
- The Owls' Courtney Votto blasted a two-run homerun in the bottom of the fourth to put KSC up 2-1.
- USM took the lead for good, 3-2, in the top of the sixth on Tinsman's first homerun of the season. Junior Kayleigh Bohan started the inning with a one-out single to center, setting the table for Tinsman.
- Greene entered the game in the fifth inning, and pitched 2.1 innings of scoreless relief to earn her fourth win of the season. She allowed just two hits.
- Freshman Ashley Alward (Cornville, Maine/Skowhegan) pitched the first 4.2 inning allowing two earned runs on seven hits and a walk.
- Molly St. Germain absorbed the loss, allowing three earned runs on six hits and five walks. She struck out four.
- KSC'S Cassie Woods, Brooke Arruda and Olivia McGrath each had two hits for the Owls.
- The Huskies scored six runs in the top of the first on six hits to start game two. Martin had an RBI double to start the scoring rally. Freshman Brynn Hink (Porter, Maine/Sacopee Valley) had a two-run single in the inning.
- Down 6-0, KSC had an eight run bottom of the fourth to take the lead. St. Germain started the rally with a grand slam home run. McGrath had a two-run single in the inning.
- The Owls tacked on three more runs in the bottom of the fifth, on RBI singles from Votto, E. Pede and McGrath to lead USM 11-7.
- USM regained the lead with a five-run sixth, 12-11, on RBIs from Brown, Tinshman, Alward, and Hink as the Owls committed three errors in the inning.
- KSC secured the win with a three-run bottom half of the sixth. L. Rousseau had a two-run single up the middle for the game-tying and go-ahead runs.
- Brown took the loss allowing 10 earned runs on eight hits and seven walks in 4.2 innings.
- St. Germain pitched the final 2.0 innings for the Owls to earn the win. She gave up two runs (none earned) and allowed just one hit.
BY THE NUMBERS
- USM freshman Kaitlyn Nelson (Guildhall, Vermont/White Mountains Regional) was 3-for-7 (.429) over two games with two runs scored, and a stolen base.
- Husky senior Brooke Cross (Saco, Maine/Thornton Academy) went 3-for-8 (.375) with two runs scored and an RBI.
- Erin Martin was 3-for-9 and now has 98 career hits.
Southern Maine hosts UMass Dartmouth on Tuesday (3:00 pm) in an LEC doubleheader.
- cac –