GORHAM, Maine – Senior Maddie O'Gryzek (Norfolk, Mass./King Philip) drove in the game-winning run in the top of the eight, and juniors Kate McDonald (Scituate, Mass./Scituate) and Annika Evensen (Lake Forest, Calif./El Toro) combined for a four-hit win in game two as the UMass Dartmouth Corsairs swept the University of Southern Maine Huskies 5-4 (8 innings) and 6-1 in a Little East Conference softball doubleheader Tuesday afternoon at the USM Softball Stadium.
Game One: UMass Dartmouth 5, Southern Maine 4 (8)
Game Two: UMass Dartmouth 6, Southern Maine 1
Records: UMass Dartmouth 18-14, LEC 9-3; Southern Maine 14-13, 3-7 LEC
How It Happened:
- Trailing 2-0 through four innings, UMass Dartmouth scored four runs in the top of the fifth to take the lead from USM. UMD had three hits in the inning and capitalized on a pair of Husky errors. Freshmen Rachel Pereira (Dartmouth, Mass.) and Averi Saores (New Bedford, Mass.)and sophomore Jill Richards (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake) each had RBI in the inning.
- With two outs, Southern Maine rallied to tie the game in the bottom of the seventh to force extra innings. Juniors Alexis Brown (Malden, Mass.) and Ashley Tinsman (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) each had RBIs in the inning. Brown collected her fifth double of the season in the inning.
- In the top of the eighth, freshman Autumn Mederios (Swansea, Mass./Shrewsbury) drew a one-out walk and then stole second. An infield single from sophomore Leah Major (Fairhaven, Mass.) put Mederios on the third, who then took home on an RBI ground out by O'Gryzek before the inning's end.
- In the bottom of the eighth, McDonald earned her second save of the season pitching a 1-2-3 inning to close the game.
- McDonald earned the win holding USM to one earned run on four hits and four walks with a pair of strikeouts.
- Evensen fired the final 2.1, allowing two walks and no hits. She struck out two.
- UMass Dartmouth collected 10 hits off of the USM pitchers.
- Richards, junior Ciera Sheerin (Bridgewater, Mass.) and sophomore Kylie Fletcher (Dighton, Mass.) each had two hits and two RBI for the Corsairs.
- Fletcher had a two-run single in the top of the third to put UMD ahead 2-0 as the Corsairs took advantage of three Husky fielding errors in the inning.
- Sheerin had an RBI double in the fourth and an RBI single in the sixth to keep UMD up 4-1.
- Richards singled through the left side in the top of the seventh for the 6-1 final, driving in two runs.
- USM's Brown took the loss, allowing four earned runs in 6.1 innings. She gave up nine hits, and a walk.
- USM senior Brooke Cross (Saco, Maine) was 2-for-3 with a run scored, while Tinsman drew an RBI walk to account for the Huskies' lone run in the game.
BY THE NUMBERS
- USM junior Erin Martin (Biddeford, Maine) collected her 100thcareer hit during the doubleheader with a single in game one.
- Cross was 4-for-7 over two games for USM. She has 115 hits in her career and is 21st in USM career records.
- USM had 12 hits in game one, including doubles from Brown, Tinsman and junior Tabatha Hirsch (Coral Springs, Fla./South Plantation).
- UMD's McDonald picked up a win and a save on the day, combining for 5.2 innings. She allowed four hits, one earned run and four walks.
Southern Maine hosts Bates College (4:00 pm) in a non-conference doubleheader.
- cac –