GORHAM, Maine – Sophomore Erin Murphy (North Andover, Mass.) drove in four runs, including a bases-clearing double in the top of the third to lead the Bates College Bobcats to a 6-3 win over the University of Southern Maine Huskies in game two of a non-conference softball doubleheader Wednesday evening. Bates claimed a 6-0 victory in game one to sweep Southern Maine as Bates' junior Kristen Pelletier (Sidney, Maine/Messalonskee) held the Huskies to just three hits in game one.
Game One: Bates 6, Southern Maine 0
Game Two: Bates 6, Southern Maine 3
Records: Bates 10-15, Southern Maine 14-15
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Southern Maine has lost its last five games consecutively.
- Bates snapped a two-game losing streak with its sweep of USM. The Bobcats have won six of their last eight games.
How It Happened:
- Pelletier was dominant in the circle for Bates scatting three hits, all singles, over seven innings. Pelletier issued five walks, but picked up 14 strikeouts. Pelletier retired seven straight Huskies from the second until the fourth inning.
- USM freshman Ashley Alward took the loss allowing just two earned runs. Alward gave up seven hits and three walks, but struck out five.
- USM committed four errors in the game, including two in Bates' three-run top of the first.
- Freshmen Aleah Pagan (Orinda, Calif.) and Janella Sato (Honolulu, Hawaii), junior Julia Panepinto (Buffalo, N.Y./City Honors) and senior Andrea Russo (Cheshire, Conn.) each had an RBI for the Bobcats. Panepinto had an RBI single, and Russo had an RBI ground out in the first.
- Up 3-0, Bates doubled its lead with a three-run top of the sixth. Pagan and Sato had RBIs in the inning, including an RBI single from Pagan.
- Russo had the lone extra base hit of the game with a double the top of 7.
- Trailing 1-0 after two innings, Bates used a four-run top of the third to take the lead for good. Murphy had a three RBI double in the inning, while Panepinto started the Bobcat rally with an RBI single through the left side.
- USM junior Alexis Brown (Malden, Mass.) had an RBI single in the bottom of the third with a hit to left field, to cut the deficit to 4-2 for the Huskies.
- After a scoreless fourth, Bates tacked on two more runs. Murphy was robbed of another hit when her shot to center field was snagged by USM's Brooke Cross (Saco, Maine/Thornton Academy) in a sliding effort, but earned an RBI. Freshman Kennedy Ishii (Honolulu, Hawaii/Punahou) had an infield RBI single for Bates' second run and 6-2 lead.
- USM made it 6-3 in the bottom of the inning taking advantage of an error on Brown's lead off at bat, an infield single from sophomore Sarah Howe (Lymand, Maine/Massabesic) , and a passed ball.
- The Huskies threatened for more runs in the bottom of the sixth as Cross and junior Kayleigh Bohan (Bedford, N.H.) had back-to-back singles to start, but sophomore Mary Collette (Watertown, Conn.) caught a line drive and double up Bohan at first for a quick to outs. With two down, relief pitcher Danielle Polirer (Bellmore, N.Y.) earned the final out of the inning via strikeout to end the threat.
- Bates went down in order in the top of the seventh, but USM could not plate any runs off of sophomore Jevan Sandhu (Plymouth, N.H.), who entered the game in a closer role, to earn the save with three consecutive ground outs.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Bates' Polirer earned the win pitching three scoreless innings, allowing four hits and three walks, while striking out three. Sandhu earned her first save of the season pitching a scoreless seventh inning.
- Bobcat starter Payton Buxton (Middlebury, Vt.), who was replaced in the fourth, allowed two earned runs on six hits and a three walks.
- Bohan was 4-for-5 over two games for USM. Cross was 2-for-2 with one run scored and two walks in game two.
Southern Maine hosts Plymouth State on Friday (3:30 pm) in a Little East Conference doubleheader. The game was originally scheduled for Saturday (1:00 pm) but was moved due to predicted weather.
- cac –