FARMINGTON, Maine – Junior Kristen Curley (Gorham, Maine) had a game-high 20 points on 8-for-15 shooting from the field and sophomore Victoria Harris (Altus, Okla./Lewiston) had her second career double-double with 17 points and 12 rebounds as the University of Southern Maine Huskies defeated the UMaine Farmington Beavers 79-50 in the final game of the 2019 UMF Tip Off Tournament at Dearborn Gymnasium.
Earning its second consecutive win, Southern Maine improves to 3-1 overall. UMaine Farmington drops to 0-2. Southern Maine has played three of its first four games of the season on the road, and its 79 points in today's game are a season-high.
Curley and Harris were the lone Huskies in double-digit scoring. Curley knocked down 3-of-6 three-pointers as part of her game-high total, while Harris' 12 rebounds establish a new career high. Sophomore Abi Ramirez (Portland, Maine) and senior Jackie Luckhardt (Londonderry, N.H.) each scored nine points. Ramirez established a USM career-high with a game-high nine assists, while Luckhardt set a personal-best with 10 steals, adding five rebounds and three assists.
UMF's McKenna Brodeur was the only Beaver in double-figures scoring 11 points to go along with five rebounds, four assists and three blocked shots. Tia Day had nine points, three rebounds and three assists, while Page Brown tossed in eight points and snagged a team-high seven rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Led by 10 first quarter points from Curley, USM outscored the Beavers 26-10 in the opening frame. The Huskies were 11-for-20 from the floor in the first, and Luckhardt committed eight of her 10 steals.
- Dispersing minutes, USM led 41-22 at the half. The Huskies outscored UMF 15-12 in the second as sophomores Katie Bagley and Audrey Pohl had four and three points respectively.
- UMF took back five points in the third quarter, winning the frame 17-12. Brodeur had seven of her 11 in the quarter as the Beavers shot 46.7 percent (7-for-15) in the third. Curley had seven of the Huskies' 12 points in the quarter as USM struggled with it shot making 5-of-20.
- USM duplicated its first quarter efforts in the fourth outscoring the Beavers 26-11 for the 79-50 final. Harris scored 12 points and six rebounds in the fourth, making 5-of-7 from the field.
INSIDE THE HUSKIES' STATS:
- Led by Luckhardt's 10 steals, USM had 21 steals in total, forcing UMF into 29 turnovers in the contest. Southern Maine had 37 points off of turnovers, and had 19 more offensive possessions than UMF.
- Luckhardt's 10 steals are third all-time in USM single-game records. The record of 13 is held by Renee Nicholas '12 set against UMass Boston on January 26, 2010.
- USM had 16 offensive rebounds and scored 24 points on second chance efforts. Harris had eight of the Huskies' 16 offensive boards.
- The Huskies dominated the paint outscoring UMF 46-22 near the rim. Harris, junior Morgan Eliasen (Lewiston, Maine) and Pohl had 31 of USM's 46 points in the paint. Eliasen finished with nine points, five rebounds and three assists, while Pohl had five points.
Southern Maine hosts No. 5 Bowdoin College on Tuesday (5:30 pm) at Hill Gymnasium in a non-conference tilt. Bowdoin finished at the NCAA Division III National Runner Up in 2019.