GORHAM, Maine – Advancing to the 2018 Little East Conference Tournament Semifinals with its 3-0 win over UMass Dartmouth this Tuesday, the University of Southern Maine Huskies' women's soccer team is prepping for its first semifinal appearance since 2005.
The fourth seed in the tournament after finishing the LEC regular season with a 5-3 record, Southern Maine will face conference-power and top-seed Western Connecticut State University Colonials on Friday (12:00 p.m.) at The WAC in Danbury, Conn. Western Connecticut, the 2018 regular season champion, secured the top seed in the tournament with a 2-0 win over Plymouth State in its regular season finale and will serve as the host for the semifinal and final rounds of the championship tournament. The Colonials will host second-seed Eastern Connecticut State University Warriors and third-seed UMass Boston Beacons at 2:30 p.m. on Friday in the second semifinal game. Winners of each semifinal contest will meet for the 2018 Little East Conference Championship and berth into the NCAA Division III National Championship Tournament.
Who:No. 4 Southern Maine (14-4-1, 5-3 Little East) vs. No. 1 Western Connecticut (12-8, 6-2 Little East)
Where:The WAC, Western Connecticut State University, Danbury, Connecticut
When:Friday, November 2 (12:00 p.m.)
Live Stats & Video:LitteEastTV.Com
About the Series:
- Friday's game will be the 29thmeeting between Western Connecticut and Southern Maine
- Western Connecticut leads the series 27-1-0
- Southern Maine only win against the Colonials was a 1-0 OT victory on October 21, 2000 at Western.
The Last Game: Western Connecticut 2, Southern Maine 1 2OT – September 29, 2018 at Southern Maine
- Both regulation-time goals were scored late in the second half.
- WCSU Goals: Alison Oakley (Bailey McCollum) 70:32; Alexandra DeLuca (Lucy Daniels) 106:56
- USM Goals: Ciera Berthiaume (Abby Mazza) 73:52
- USM's Taylor Canastra made a career-best 17 saves in the loss.
- Shots: USM 5, WCSU 33
Southern Maine Team Notes:
- The Huskies have won a school record 14 games this season
- The Huskies have won 10 games via shutout this season; led by Canastra
- Ciera Berthiaume leads USM with 33 points (10g, 7a); freshman Alex Allain has 21 points (7g, 7a).
- Berthiaume leads USM with 4 game-winning goals, Emma Dennison, Adele Kalilwa and Allain each have three.
- Taylor Canastra 0.91 GAA
Western Connecticut Team Notes:
- Western Connecticut is 6-3 at home this season.
- The Colonials are 8-2 in October.
- Kaliegh Panek leads WCSU with 11 goals. Aileen Maloney and Allison Oakley each have five goals.
- cac –